Saturday 29 October 2011

Home Brew and Chinese Knockoffs

So me mates and I decided to make some beer. I wanted to make some beer because: A) I'm a cheap C-word (Which is actually a fairly acceptable word to use in OZ) and don't like paying $50 plus for a case of beer which lately has been leaving me so congested the morning after that I have to take a antihistamine/sinus pill. B) I miss the ridiculous amount of brewing Ben and I had going on in his basement C) I had a 20% off coupon.

Because I had the 20% off coupon and the 3 of us splitting the cost we decided to make 2 beers, an Asahi and a James Squire Golden Ale, 100L in total. The BeerFactory where we did the brewing is a ways away from the inner west but you get to drink beer while brewing and bottling thus making the trip totally worth it.

Anyway, due to me being a scientific genius and our ability to measure and follow simple instructions like a Boss our beers turned out excellent, in fact the Golden Ale is arguably better then the real thing and at $15 for a case of 24 rather then $50 it is a bargain.  Best of all, after a night of binge drinking I do not wake up congested!









So, sometimes the imitation can be better then the real thing...Case 2: Chinese knockoffs.
I recently purchased some Vibram Fivefingers Bilika LS shoes as I wanted to start barefoot running.
I purchased them on Ebay as shoe prices in Australia are retarded...You would think being closer to China that items would be the same price or cheaper but the Fivefingers here are $230 ($100+ back home). So instead of paying ridiculously inflated shop prices I purchase a set for $40 plus $20 shipping on Ebay.

Turns out they are knockoffs, but telling this is next to impossible. The only reason I can tell they are knockoffs is because the material on the upper is slightly different but otherwise they look identical. Anyway, went for my first run in them and love them so far and at 75% savings I think the knockoffs will work just fine.

Now if only I could get a Decent Sport bike knockoff I'd be set